Monday 26 March 2012

Lip balm Comparison - Maybelline vs Burts Bees

I always struggle to wear lipsticks and lip glosses because I suffer from extremely dry lips. They usually flake off or the colour sinks into cracks in my lips and either way it ends up looking horrible in no time at all.

I am always looking for a lip balm that I can wear by itself to help heal my lips and also one I can wear under lipsticks to add some moisture.

I recently bought the Maybelline Baby lips in Energizing orange and was lucky enough to be given a Burts Bees l00% natural Lip balm to test out. So I though I would do a comparision on the two, as they are meant to do essentially the same thing, moisturise and soften your dry lips.


First off the Maybelline one, cheap as chips around $3 at priceline but almost always on special so you can get it cheaper or as part of a buy one get one free deal. Smells so nice, kind of like orange sherbet…(Does Austin Powers impersonation) ‘Would you like some orange sherbet'. Haha….maybe not


The lip balm comes in the traditional screw stick and is a milky white colour which goes on clear. The balm goes on nice and smooth and doesn’t give any sticky feeling. However after wearing it for a while I did find it actually led my lips to dry out and peel even more, making you think you should reapply it, but this just leads to your lips becoming drier and peeling even more. so you get a few minutes of beautiful soft lips and then they will be worse then before you applied the lip balm. Needless to say I think this one is heading for the bin!

The Burt's Bees one i got in Mango butter and the cost around $7, so a little more pricey. I love the fact that it is 100% natural, so often the chemicals in beauty products cause more harm then good; like with the Maybelline one above.

As soon as I craked the seal on this baby I was in love, it smells so good! The smell is hard to describe but I would say it smells slightly like very sweat citrus fruit, i can't really smell the mango.

The product is a transparent white colour and a bit of a thicker consistency, so you might have to run it over your lips twice to get a good coverage. I also found that the product is really fast absorbing, so you won't have any sticky residue left on your lips and i didn't really feel the need to apply it multiple times during the day.

Because it is a little bit of a thicker formula it doesn't run  off your lips onto the skin around your mouth like the more fluid balms will, good for those people who get pimples!

The Burt's Bees one leaves almost no residue!

I found it does really moisturise your lips and reduced the peeling on my lips, making them feel nice and soft.  But, one downside is that its not really a good base coat for lippies, the balm is a little to smooth and the lipstick comes off quite easily.

If your after a lip balm to wear on its own I would definitely  suggest the burts bees one, i am definitely making this one of my handbag staples!


Rating:

Maybelline Baby lips 0/5


  • Pro: it smells nice
  • Major Con: causes more harm than good!

Burt's Bees lip balm  5/5

  • Fantastic smell
  • Heals dry cracked lips
  • long lasting moisture effect


2 comments:

  1. Great review girl! I don't know if you have heard of the brand "Fresh" but my roommates introduced it to me and they carry the most amazing tinted lip balm ever! Look it up - Fresh "Sugar"... personally I own the Rose flavor... it's on the pricey side but it works like magic... with the added benefit of the tinted color... it's all I ever carry in my purse now!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of it before, i will def have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

      A tinted Lip balm will probably be better for everyday then trying to get lipstick to work on my lips!

      Delete