What is Formaldehyde? And why should i avoid it?
Definitely avoid any nail hardeners with Formaldehyde in them, this chemical is usually used as a preservative (for embalming bodies) or glue (like in ply wood) also known as methanediol, it is a known carcinogen (linked to throat and nasal cancer).
But wait it gets worse, Formaldehyde will actually cause long term damage to your nails (so why the F* do they put it in nail hardeners???!) in two ways:
- It can cause your nails to peel off in layers after the preservative/glue effect wears off and
- It May cause nail lift, where the nail lifts off the nail plate which can take years to repair and lead to fungal nail problems.
It is a chemical that is usually only used by lower end cheaper brands, so if your going for a cheap or unknown brand read the label first!
** It can also be found in Brazilian Keratin Hair treatments, solid perfumes and body lotions as a preservative**
Some products to watch out for:
- Missha Lucid Nail Care: Contains formaldehyde a known carcinogen, can cause nail lifting and peeling.
- Dove Beauty Bar: It's 99% water, but watch out for that other 1%. It includes quaternium 15 and formaldehyde, known carcinogens, as well as irritants to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.
- Johnson's Baby Shampoo: Contains carcinogens quaterium 15, FD&C RED 40, which can cause dermatitis.
- Crest Tarter Control Toothpaste: This best selling toothpaste contains saccharin and phenol fluoride.
- Talcum powder: Talc, the main ingredient, is a carcinogen that increases the risk of ovarian cancer. Use corn starch instead.
- Cover Girl Replenishing Natural Finish Make Up (foundation): This makeup includes BHA, talc, titanium dioxide, triethanolamine. These interact with nitrites to form nitrosamines and lanolin, which is often contaminated with DDT and other carcinogenic pesticides.
If you know any more, Comment below